Another trip around the sun
Posted on December 20, 2022
Since we all made it another year around the sun, let’s pat ourselves on the back and do a little reflecting on the year gone by, which in all honesty, is the hardest thing to do. Even I prefer to forget about the past and try to leave it all behind. But sometimes, the only way to learn is to reflect, change things up and think about how we can do better.
The biggest prediction that Twitter would go down was one of the more interesting predictions. I mean, there is still a jury out on that, but when I stopped using Twitter, I free up so much time. I do not plan on going back, since I am enjoying this newfound freedom. But if I am being honest, we are all scrolling and, in this day, and age, what does it take for us to give pause and click on a content that we want to consume? I feel like half of the time that choice is taken from me when half of my timeline has recommended things that I care nothing about.
2022! A year in which I made digression from lakorns. I watched a handful and enjoyed a few. The list below only includes lakorns that I have seen from beginning to end. I may have watched other lakorns that I have written first impressions on, but for the life of me, I could not continue. I think I found the answer I posed earlier. No draw. A show I drop is a show that could not contain my interest.
Here are the ones I found enjoyable this year:
- Ratree Luang – the chemistry made the story even better
- Fah Piang Din – as far as remakes go, this was some good re-storytelling.
- Om Fah Ohb Din – cute and easy to watch
Here are the ones I watched but was ultimately disappointed:
- Suptar 2550 – the reunion of Ken and Anne that is just that, a reunion that fell flat.
- The Deadly Affair – my weekly endeavor, how did I even finish this.
- Koo Wen – I wanted my time back, but I guess sticking around for cutie Pon made it somewhat bearable. But I still want my time back.
The latest lakorn I have seen is Lai Kinnaree starring the dearly beloved Yadech. I did not put it in any of the lists above because I may need to do some explaining. While the premise of people from different perspectives and backgrounds come together to solve a case can be an interesting premise, I felt that they were not as smart as the villain. Show had to sit everyone down in the ending to explain exactly what went down, when we probably already guessed what happened. And as far as romance goes, there is really none. This enemies to lovers trope did not bode well when they spend 99.9% of the time screaming at each other. When Monsieur visits Luang In to say his goodbye and adds that he knows who is actually in Dr. Pudsorn’s heart, I almost choked on my coffee. Monsieur do you see something I do not see? Are you confusing people who actually insult/downgrade/lash out at each other something of a love language? That is a good one Monsieur. I actually like Monsieur, when the two fight, he has this hilarious look on his face.
I want a good Yadech reunion lakorn like any of Yadech’s fan, but this is not it. They do get a happy ending, but I almost prefer they just go their own way, she can continue to save lives and be a badass women doctor of Ayuthaya and he can go fight someone else. HAHAHA pick me Barry, I will fight you! I suppose what this show highlights is that Nadech is a great actor!
While my lakorn list seems short and you wonder what a drama addict does with the rest of her time? Other dramas of course! In fact, Chinese dramas have been taking over 2022 for me, and the best one I have seen this year is Lighter and Princess. I recommend it if you want to see a romance done right, this show gave me everything I ever wanted and needed.
Cdramas that I found enjoyable:
- Lighter and Princess – ah this show is everything. I am still going through withdrawals. A chemistry so natural you think you’re watching a real show.
- Love Between Fairy and Devil – cutest Devil ever. And there’s some body swapping happening.
- Romance of the Little Forest – easy as Sunday breakfast.
- Who Rules the World – that became a moot point, but not for the lack of trying.
Cdramas I watched but did not find too compelling:
- Immortal Samsara – I watched it for Chengyi and there were some good parts, but stressful for the most part.
- A Dream of Splendor – it was ok?
- She and Her Perfect Husband – seems like something I would like! I tried to like it! But alas, my will wasn’t strong enough to continue.
- Thousand Years For You – finally watched something of Uncle Allen Ren and now I want to watch his other dramas.
- The Oath of Love – I watched it for Xiao Zhan. Really liked him in Duo Luo Continent. But this modern drama is more on the boring side. But they are cute together?
- Dream Garden – lao gong – heart eyes – that is all.
Shows that are encouraged to finish (ones I started but can’t seem to finish)
- Love Like the Galaxy – continue after episode 30, she said.
I have also seen a few Kdramas that I found noteworthy:
- Business Proposal – a romcom that is actually funny
- Extraordinary Attorney Woo – so good
- Little Women – captivating
If I had to choose my favorite show this year among all of the shows I’ve seen, it would be Lighter and Princess. It’s my kind of show and I feel like the writer/director gets it. They kept me warm during this winter months and I am forever grateful for that. It is not easy to come across a good show, so I will be embracing this one close to my heart for a long while.
To the drama gods out there, please give us lakorns, dramas, shows, that will leave a piece of our heart behind. Cheers to a new year, Lovelies.
Your comment about Monsieur… on point!!! hahahahaha
Teehee. What is your fave show this year, JJ?
If we talk about lakorn, I’d go for Bad Romeo definitely. You could say it’s not a very good one, but it was the one that got me most excited about it. I even hosted watch parties with friends to watch it live 😅. Special mention to Samee Chua Keun and Jao Sao Jumloey. As for Chinese… I liked a lot our L&P, but my favorite of this year is Esther Yu in Romance of a Little Forest and Romance Between Fairy and Devil. Very sweet romance 😬
That’s a great list – you filled in the gaps for me nicely. We do have similar tastes in shows! Bad Romeo/Jao Sao Jumloey are ones I dropped, maybe I should do a fast rewatch. Little Forest had been my morning vitamin when it aired, such an easy breezy watch. Fairy and Devil has a sweet romance, with the Devil always willing to do anything for the Fairy. LP really had me in its clutches this year, beauty and pain I could rewatch because it was such a hard fought relationship.
Thank you for your writing. All this time, I’d really watch drama or any movie based on your recommendation. Really gonna watch Lai Kinnaree but my schedule really tight that I don’t even have the time for any lakorn..
Aw thanks for your trust. I hope you squeeze in some time to catch a show that will warm your heart and make the tiredness go away.
Thanks for the recap. I’m always excited when I received email notification of your blog update. Your writing is so soothing and almost poetic. Anyway, I, too, unable to finish The Deadly Affair, despite JJ in it. It was disappointing, I hope JJ will choose a better lakorn for his next project. Thank you for recommending Lighter and Princess, I am not a Cdrama fan but since you said it was worth the watch, I’ll definitely check it out.
Happy New Year to you.
Happy New Year to you dear, thanks for stopping by. I too hope we get better lakorns this coming year.